In honor of Valentine’s Day, we wanted to take the time to share a list of pests that we should all learn to love – many of which provide surprising benefits … and might even have you singing their praises! Check out our list of top five bugs to love:
1. Ladybugs: Our favorite polka dot pest is a great bug to love, especially if you’re a garden enthusiast. These pests protect plants from aphids – tiny pests that extract moisture from plants. If you are looking for an environmentally friendly way of protecting your garden, consider adding some ladybugs.
2. Fireflies: No summer night is complete without catching a few lightening bugs. This summer pest is often found in humid temperatures, near ponds, streams and marshes. Did you know fireflies put on a light show to attract new mates? How romantic!
3. Dragonflies: Annoyed by mosquitoes during the summer? Then a dragonfly may be your new best friend since a mosquito is their meal of choice! Similar to fireflies, look for them near still water such as ponds and lakes.
4. Crickets: The rhythmic chirping sound you hear at night is actually a love song from male crickets. Crickets sing these romantic ballads to attract female crickets. Once they’ve found the one they love, they also chirp in celebration.
5. Honeybees: One of nature’s sweetest gifts to us is honey, so of course we had to include honeybees on our list. In addition to making the honey we enjoy in so many recipes, honeybees are responsible for pollinating more than 100 crops, including peaches, melons and cucumbers. Yum!
We hope this list helps to prove that some pests definitely deserve a little love! Happy Valentine’s Day!