Did you know that Earth Day is April 22? This special day encourages everyone to take a moment to think about their impact on our environment.
At Arrow Exterminators, we have integrated sustainability into our every day routines
with STEPS® – short for “Sustainability Through Environmental Practices and Solutions.” Our technicians put this philosophy into action on a daily basis, striving to treat homes in the most effective and environmentally responsible way possible.
Homeowners often ask us what they can do to control pests in a sustainable way. We thought Earth Day was the perfect time to provide some earth-friendly tips from our experts that can be easily adopted to prevent pests from entering the home:
• Prevent rodents, such as mice, rats and squirrels, from intruding indoors by carefully inspecting for cracks and crevices around the home, sealing all possible entry ways;
• Prevent flying insects from entering the home by checking screen doors and windows for tears or holes. Additionally, check to ensure that screens are properly fitted, without any gaps;
• Keep wildlife out of attics by adding screens to vents and the openings of chimneys;
• Prevent mosquito and ant infestations by eliminating standing water and other sources of moisture in and around the home;
• Keep spiders from hitching a ride indoors by storing firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and five inches off the ground;
• Prevent wildlife from encroaching and snacking on food by keeping trash stored in thick plastic or metal garbage cans, sealed tightly with a lid at all times;
• Prevent cockroach infestations by keeping basements and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry; and
• Help remove flea populations and prevent the laying of eggs by vacuuming frequently.
Which of these tips do you find the most helpful? Comment below with your favorite and have a happy Earth Day!