Don't Let Pests Spoil Your Holiday Cheer
The holiday season is officially in full swing! Decorating, baking and visits from friends and family have us all in the holiday spirit, but we do want to remind you of a few simple steps you can take to keep unwanted pests from spoiling your holiday fun!
Baking is a beloved holiday tradition for many but unfortunately your sweet treats and pastries are also attractive to pests. This time of year, we encourage you to clean and conduct a thorough inventory of your pantry and cupboards, closely inspecting dry goods, such as flour, corn meal and sugar for pests. This is also a great way to see what you have on hand before venturing to the grocery store. Once the pantry is clean, it's time to head to the store to stock up! Be sure to examine all packaging carefully and make sure seals are intact and that there are no signs of damage. This will prevent bringing unwanted pests back into your clean pantry.
Decorating is also a time for family fun, however we do suggest that you shake and inspect live trees, greenery and firewood before you bring them inside as they can provide the ideal hiding spot for pests such as spiders, rodents and ants. Additionally, inspect your holiday decorations that have been stored away for most of the year before you bring inside. They can provide the perfect nesting spot for rodents and other wildlife.
We have put together this list of tips to help you prevent pests from spoiling your holiday fun:
- Clean up spills immediately and store holiday goodies in airtight containers.
- Before baking, inspect all food, especially dry goods for potential infestations and check expiration dates.
- When grocery shopping, only purchase sealed packages that show no signs of damage.
- If a pantry-infestation is suspected, discard all contaminated foods and other open dry goods in outdoor trash bins and clean the infested area thoroughly with a vacuum and soap and water.
- Inspect Christmas trees, wreaths and other live greenery thoroughly before bringing into the house.
- Store all holiday decorations in plastic, airtight containers and when retrieving from the attic or basement, inspect them outdoors before bringing inside.
Store firewood off the ground and at least 20 feet away from the home.
- Place screens over vents and openings to chimneys.
- Vacuum and sweep often around the home.
- In the event mice are detected, a pest professional should be contacted immediately.
From our family to yours, we wish you a happy and pest-free holiday season!