You may have noticed that the days are getting shorter and the nights are getting colder. A warm house and a warm meal start to become more appealing this time of year. Unfortunately, these fall comforts appeal to pests too. This is the time of year when mice, chipmunks, raccoons and squirrels are looking for a place to call home, and it may be inside your house. To help protect your home, Arrow Exterminators has created Sustainability Through Environmental Practices and Solutions, or STEPS™, a three-part system to get to the root of the problem and keep pest infestations from becoming a serious predicament.
Mice are known to be a major problem this time of year. They can enter a home through an area as small as a nickel and cause property damage in the process. They can easily chew through walls and electrical wire, which may cause a fire. They can also contaminate food and spread disease through their droppings.
To help protect homes from mice and other pests, Arrow Exterminators uses the STEPS system. The three-step approach includes:
- Fully inspect home and property to pinpoint pest issues
- Identify not only the pest, but the true cause of the problem
- Treat in the most environmentally responsible way to alleviate current issues and help prevent any future recurrence
Here are some simple steps on how to prevent pests from entering the home this fall with sustainable pest control:
- Seal all internal and external cracks and crevices.
- Check screen doors and windows for tears or holes.
- Screen vents and openings to chimneys
- Use a thick plastic or metal garbage can with a tight lid and keep sealed at all times.
- Eliminate standing water and other sources of moisture in or around the home.
- Replace loose mortar and weather-stripping around the basement foundation and windows
- Store fire wood at least 20 feet away from the house and five inches off the ground.
We hope that with these tips, you can prepare your home for a safe and pest free fall!