The holidays have officially arrived! As you open your homes for parties and out-of-town houseguests, we would like to remind you of simple things you can do to keep pests from spoiling your holiday fun.
Many do not realize that brown recluse spiders can easily be brought into the home, hitching a ride on freshly cut Christmas trees, door wreaths and firewood.
Additionally, as the days become increasingly colder and longer, pests such as house mice will seek food and shelter in basements and attics. Oftentimes, these pests have already made their way inside, nesting in packed away holiday decorations.
To prevent rodents and spiders from crashing your holiday party, we recommend the following tips:
- Store holiday decorations in plastic airtight containers.
- Inspect Christmas trees thoroughly before bringing them into the house.
- Store firewood away from the home and on raised structures off the ground.
- Inspect decorations outdoors before bringing them into the home.
- Seal all holes and cracks that are larger than the diameter of a pencil.
- Keep garages, attics and basements clean and clutter free.
- Place screens over vents and openings to chimneys.
- Vacuum and sweep often around the home.
We hope you and your family have a happy (and pest free) holiday!