Send Pests Packing While You're Away from Home
Summer is the prime time for many vacations. It is also the time when many pest populations are at their peak. You take the proper precautions to protect your home from burglars while you are away and you should take the same measures to protect your home and family from four, six or eight-legged intruders. These invaders can cause significant damage in a short amount of time and may also pose serious health risks. There are no alarms for these intruders, so we have put together a pre-vacation pest prevention checklist.
Before heading out of town, be sure to:
- Remove all sources of standing water around your home. This includes birdbaths, kiddie pools, gutters and flower pots. Mosquitoes are just looking for the perfect spot to lay their eggs and they develop from larvae to adult in as little as seven days!
- Make sure all tree branches and shrubs are trimmed back away from your home. Insects and rodents can use them as a means of transportation into the comforts of your home.
- Give your exterior a good once-over. Make sure all screens are in good repair and seal any cracks and crevices around the foundation and entry points like windows, doors and even where utilities enter your home.
- Remove all garbage from your home before you leave. If you must leave behind some last minute trash, be sure it is in a well-sealed can. Houseflies are notorious home invaders and will travel 20 miles in search of food.
- Seal up any leftovers in airtight containers to keep ants away and if you are packing snacks for your trip, use sealed containers to make sure ants to go on vacation with you.
- Finally, when packing put your clothes in airtight plastic bags and leave sealed during any hotel stay to keep the bed bugs out. When you get home, inspect and vacuum your suitcase before bringing it in the house and wash all clothing in hot water.
We hope you find these simple prevention tips helpful and that you enjoy a pest-free vacation season.