It's summer - the season of backyard barbeques, days by the pool
and fun in the sun! Unfortunately, while enjoying our outdoor
summertime we often have to combat pests. It's no fun swatting away
bugs and diving for cover and stinging insects send more than half
a million people to the emergency room each year! To help
protect your family, we have put together a list of the top 5
summer stingers and some prevention steps you can take.
1. Wasps - Definitely the most aggressive of
the summer stingers, these pests should be given a wide berth as
they have been known to attack humans for no apparent reason.
2. Yellow Jackets - These stingers are also
very social in nature and a fully developed nest can contain
thousands of adult yellow jackets. They typically build their
nests in the ground, but can also be found in dark attics and
basements. They will vigorously pursue any intruder if their
nest is disturbed.
3. Fire Ants - Many think Red Imported Fire
Ants bite, but it is actually their sting that causes a
reaction. Avoid their signature telltale mounds as they will
attack in large numbers and sting multiple times if their nest is
4. Mosquitoes - Summer's most notorious
stinger, mosquitoes leave behind painful itch welts and can also
transmit diseases like West Nile Virus and Encephalitis.
5. Hornets - Like our other summer stingers,
hornets are social insects and present a significant threat because
they will attack in large numbers if they perceive their nest is
Completely ridding the outdoors of these pests is improbable, so
in addition to being aware of the biggest offenders, we want you to
have some tips to help keep them at bay. When enjoying time
outdoors, be sure to:
- Serve all drinks in covered pitchers and keep sweets in tightly
- Make sure all outdoor trash cans have a secure lid
- Wear mosquito repellant containing DEET.
- Remove all sources of standing water around your home including
children's wading pools, birdbaths and flowerpots
- Cut back unnecessary vegetation around your home
- If you spot a nest, call a professional for proper
We hope you enjoy a fun-filled and sting-free summer!