Enjoy a Pest-Free Holiday Season
Tis the season to spread good cheer and celebrate with friends and family. Here at Arrow, we want to make sure you don't have any uninvited guests show up and spoil your holiday fun.
We have all been enjoying the unusually mild temperatures across our area and so has the local pest population. We typically see a reduction in the overall number of pests this time of year; however, our weather has been anything but typical. This fact combined with the usual flurry of holiday activities like baking, decorating and parties could lead to the increased risk of a pest infestation in your home.
The aroma of cookies, cakes and candies baking in the kitchen is a sure sign the holidays are here and while young and old alike enjoy these delicious treats, they are also attractive to pests. Many types of ants are attracted to sweets and pantry pests such as Indian meal moths and merchant grain beetles can be found lurking in flour, cake mixes, dried fruits and corn meal.
Decorating is also a time for family fun and togetherness, but it is important to take precautions when bringing live greenery inside and when retrieving the stored decorations from the basement or attic. Trees and wreaths can provide the perfect hiding spot for pests such as spiders and ants and stored decorations may be harboring rodents and other wildlife. And while few things are more welcoming than a roaring fire, that stack of firewood is also a welcoming nesting spot for spiders, termites and rodents and provides easy transportation into your home.
Finally, our holiday gatherings are filled with a lot good food and good cheer, but they can also offer a tempting feast for uninvited guests like mice, cockroaches and ants looking for food and shelter this time of year.
To help keep your home pest-free this holiday season, We recommend the following tips:
- Clean up spills immediately and store holiday goodies in airtight containers.
- Keep your kitchen floor, counters and sink clean and dry.
- Before baking, inspect all your ingredients for potential infestations and be sure to check expiration dates.
- When stocking up at the grocery store, only purchase sealed packages that show no signs of damage.
- Inspect your Christmas tree, wreaths and other live greenery thoroughly before
bringing them into your home.
- Store all your holiday decorations in plastic, airtight containers each year and when you retrieve them, inspect them outdoors before bringing inside.
- Store firewood off the ground and at least 20 feet away from the home.
- Make sure any holes, cracks and openings along your foundation or around exterior windows and doors are sealed.
- Put screens over exterior vents and the chimney opening.
- Vacuum and sweep often around your home.
We hope these tips help you enjoy a pest-free holiday this year and the entire Arrow Exterminators family wishes you and yours a blessed and merry holiday season.