CATCH THE LOVE BUG
Arrow Exterminators Lists the Top Five Pests to Love on Valentine’s Day (and Year-Round Too)
Believe it or not, there are plenty of pests out there that everyone should love. In addition to being perfectly harmless, some of these pests even provide a few benefits. So, while love is in the air this Valentine’s Day, save a little for this list of the top five most loveable bugs put together by Arrow Exterminators.
1. Ladybugs: Ladybugs are wonderful pests to love, especially for homeowners with gardens. They feed on aphids, which are harmful to plants. Often times, avid gardeners will purchase ladybugs to add to their garden as an easy, affordable and sustainable solution to keep pests away.
2. Fireflies: Who doesn’t have fond childhood memories of catching lightning bugs on a warm summer night? These friendly pests are the ultimate love bug – their glow is used to attract new mates and they can be found in great numbers in humid climates, especially near ponds, streams and marshes.
3. Dragonflies: If you don’t like mosquitoes, then you should definitely love dragonflies. This four-winged pest feeds on summer’s most notorious pest. Look for dragonflies to be found living and breeding near sources of standing or still water.
4. Crickets: Considered by many to be the most romantic pest, crickets have a unique way of attracting a mate. Only male crickets chirp and to find their perfect “soul mate,” they produce an orchestra of romantic ballads to court nearby female crickets (and repel other males). Additionally, after a successful mating, they will chirp a song of celebration.
5. Honeybees: “We had to include honeybees on our list because of the sweet treat they provide us,” said Shay Runion, Arrow Pest Expert. “This very social pest is not only responsible for producing honey and pollinating beautiful flowers – it also helps pollinate more than 100 different crops across the United States, including apples, squash, soybeans and nuts.”