CELEBRATE EARTH DAY WITH A FEW SIMPLE “STEPS”
Arrow Exterminators Provides Tips for Sustainable Pest Control
Spring is one of the busiest times of the year for pest infestations and unfortunately, pest activity will only increase as temperatures continue to climb. To help homeowners protect against infestations and the potential health risks and property damage they may cause, Arrow Exterminators has compiled a list of proactive and environmentally friendly “STEPS” to take in celebration of Earth Day.
“Whenever a homeowner asks us what they can do to prevent a pest infestation, we always provide them with tips utilizing our STEPS® Total Protection System,” said Shay Runion, Arrow Pest Expert. “Short for Sustainability Through Environmental Practices and Solutions, STEPS is what we do every day through the services we provide and the way we operate our business. Environmental responsibility is everyone’s concern and there is no better time than Earth Day to encourage homeowners to adopt sustainable pest control practices.”
- To protect against infestations while also protecting the environment, Arrow recommends that homeowners implement the following STEPS®:
- Prevent rodents, such as mice, rats and squirrels, from intruding indoors by carefully inspecting for cracks and crevices around the home, sealing all possible entry ways;
- Prevent flying insects from entering the home by checking screen doors and windows for tears or holes. Additionally, check to ensure that screens are properly fitted, without any gaps;
- Keep wildlife out of attics by adding screens to vents and the openings of chimneys;
- Prevent mosquito and ant infestations by eliminating standing water and other sources of moisture in and around the home;
- Keep spiders from hitching a ride indoors by storing firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and five inches off the ground;
- Prevent wildlife from encroaching and snacking on food by keeping trash stored in thick plastic or metal garbage cans, sealed tightly with a lid at all times;
- Prevent cockroach infestations by keeping basements and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry; and
- Help remove flea populations and prevent the laying of eggs by vacuuming frequently.