DALLAS COUNTY DECLARES STATE OF EMERGENCY OVER WEST NILE VIRUS
Arrow Exterminators Encourages Taking Immediate Precautions to
Guard against Infestations of Mosquitoes
Dallas County, TX has just declared a state of emergency due to
West Nile Virus as the number of deaths attributed to the disease
climbs to 10. Arrow Exterminators, a local pest control company, is
reaching out to educate the public about what they can do to
control mosquito infestations and protect their families.
"Most people associate mosquito bites with the itchy red bumps
they leave behind, but these pests also transmit West Nile Virus,"
said Larry Novy, Arrow Pest Expert. "We have seen an
extraordinarily large mosquito population this year due to the mild
winter we experienced," continues Novy, "mosquitoes breed very
quickly in stagnant water only taking 10 to 14 days to develop from
an egg into an adult."
To help homeowners protect their families and homes from a
mosquito infestation this year, Arrow Exterminators recommends the
following simple, proactive measures:
• Eliminate sources of standing water such as children's wading
pools, birdbaths and flower pots;
• Keep rain gutters cleaned out and properly draining away from
• Cut back or remove unnecessary vegetation around the home where
• When swimming pools aren't in use, keep them covered to prevent
mosquitoes from laying their eggs;
• Remove water that has collected in tree holes and hollow
• Screen windows and doors to prevent mosquitoes from getting
inside homes; and
• Consider using yellow bug light bulbs in outdoor light fixtures
- the bulbs reduce the number of flying insects around your home by
emitting a soft yellow light that these pests can't see.
• Contact a local Pest Control Professional to see if they offer
Mosquito Control Services for your property.