ENJOY A PEST-FREE HOLIDAY SEASON (1)
Arrow Exterminators Offers Tips to Prevent Pests from Spoiling Holiday Cheer
The holiday season is a time to celebrate and be of good cheer. Unfortunately, holiday baking, parties and decorations can be reason for pests to celebrate as well. Nothing can spoil your holiday celebrations more quickly than pests such as Indian meal moths, mice, ants and cockroaches which are common intruders this time of year. To avoid infestation of these unwanted guests, Arrow Exterminators is educating homeowners on what to keep an eye out for and proactive steps they should take to protect their homes.
"Homeowners are often engaging in activities this time of year such as baking, parties and decorating that can provide an entryway or welcoming environment for pests," said Arrow pest expert, Shay Runion. "A few simple steps can go a long way to ensure pests don't ruin the festivities."
A flurry of baking in the kitchen is a sure sign the holidays are here. Cookies, cakes and candies are delicious treats for the holidays, but are also attractive to pests. Many types of ants are attracted to sweets and pantry pests such as Indian meal moths and merchant grain beetles can be found lurking in flour, cake mixes, dried fruits and corn meal.
"We always recommend that homeowners thoroughly clean and conduct a complete inventory of their pantries this time of year, closely inspecting dry goods, such as flour, corn meal and sugar for pests," said Runion. "We also encourage homeowners to carefully scrutinize packaging at the grocery store making sure all are completely sealed to avoid bringing these pests into the home."
Decorating is also a time for family fun, but it is important to take precautions when bringing live trees and wreaths inside as they can provide the perfect hiding spot for pests such spiders and ants. Additionally, decorations coming out of storage into the main living areas of the home may be harboring rodents and other wildlife. And while a roaring fire is a welcome holiday sight, that stack of firewood is also the perfect nesting spot for many pests including spiders, termites and rodents and provides easy transportation into the home.
Finally, holiday gatherings are filled with a lot good food and good times, but can also provide a feast for uninvited guests like mice, cockroaches and ants looking for food and shelter this time of year.
To help keep homes pest-free this holiday season, Arrow Exterminators recommends the following tips:
- Clean up spills immediately and store holiday goodies in airtight containers.
- Before baking, inspect all food, especially dry goods for potential infestations and check expiration dates.
- When grocery shopping, only purchase sealed packages that show no signs of damage.
- If a pantry-infestation is suspected, discard all contaminated foods and other open dry goods in outdoor trash bins and clean the infested area thoroughly with a vacuum and soap and water.
- Inspect Christmas trees, wreaths and other live greenery thoroughly before bringing into the house.
- Store all holiday decorations in plastic, airtight containers and when retrieving from the attic or basement, inspect them outdoors before bringing inside.
Store firewood off the ground and at least 20 feet away from the home.
- Seal all holes and cracks along the foundation and any openings around exterior doors and windows.
- Place screens over vents and openings to chimneys.
- Vacuum and sweep often around the home.
- In the event mice are detected, a pest professional should be contacted immediately.