KEEP PESTS AWAY FROM YOUR THANKSGIVING FEAST
Arrow Exterminators Provides Tips to Help Homeowners Prevent Pantry Infestations
As Thanksgiving kicks off the holiday season next week, plans for parties and family gatherings are underway and the last thing homeowners need to worry about are uninvited “guests” making an appearance. Indian meal moths, grain and flour infesting beetles and weevils, ants and mice are common party crashers this time of the year, invading pantries nationwide. Arrow Exterminators encourages homeowners to inspect and clean their pantries early to keep cupboards and cabinets pest-free this holiday season.
“Before holiday cooking and baking commences, we always recommend that homeowners conduct a complete inventory of their pantries and cupboards, closely inspecting their dry goods such as flour, corn meal and sugar, for pests. Indian meal moths, flour and grain infesting beetles and weevils and ants can easily find their way inside homes during the year, infesting pantries.” said Arrow Pest Expert Shay Runion. “We also encourage homeowners to scrutinize packaging at the grocery store, looking for any signs of damage to avoid bringing these unwanted pests into the home.”
Indian meal moths are the most common type of pantry pests and with the female moth laying up to 200 eggs per week they can quickly contaminate the entire pantry. Small, with tri-colored wings, they are most often lurking in dried fruits, flour, powdered milk, dry dog food and corn meal.
Other common pantry pests are grain and flour infesting beetles and weevils. These small, reddish to dark brown pests are attracted to cereal, cake mix, chocolate and macaroni, and they use their saw-like teeth to chew through food packaging and contaminate the food.
Lastly, homeowners shouldn’t forget about ants and mice. These pests are common invaders year-round, but Arrow Exterminators notices an increase in rodent-related calls every year during the colder months as these pests look for a warm place to nest. Ants and mice also need food to survive the winter and often find it in pantries.
To keep pests from spoiling the festivities, Arrow Exterminators recommends the following tips:
• When shopping in grocery stores, only purchase sealed packages that show no signs of damage;
• Before baking, inspect all ingredients for infestations and check expiration dates;
• Keep all food sealed in airtight containers;
• Keep kitchen counters, sinks and floors clean at all times, as crumbs and spills can quickly attract pests
• If an infestation is suspected, discard the contaminated foods in outdoor trash bins and clean the infested areas thoroughly with a vacuum followed by soap and water. In the event mice are detected, a pest professional should be contacted immediately.