NOT A CREATURE WAS STIRRING...NOT EVEN A MOUSE!
Arrow Exterminators Offers Tips to Keep It That Way
The holidays are here and it is time to unpack the holiday
decorations and go pick out the perfect tree. While decorating
really gets the holiday spirit going, there are steps homeowners
can take to make sure they don't bring unwelcome guests into the
"Holiday decorations are only used once a year and the rest of
the time, they are usually stored in basements and attics. These
undisturbed locations create the perfect environment for rodents
such as squirrels, mice and rats to build their nests," said Shay
Runion, Arrow Pest Expert. "Christmas trees, door wreaths and
firewood also provide the perfect hiding spot and transportation
for pests such as brown recluse spiders."
The most common rodent encountered this time of the year is the
house mouse as they seek food and shelter from the cold. Typically
found in basements and attics, house mice breed rapidly and can
bring other pests along with them such as fleas, mites and ticks.
Their droppings and urine can trigger asthma attacks in
Brown recluse spiders are another pest to be aware of this
holiday season. These pests can easily hitch a ride into homes on
firewood or Christmas trees. Brown recluse spiders hide in dark
areas, near woodpiles and debris. While these spiders are mostly
considered a nuisance pest, they will bite when disturbed and
produce painful, open sores on the skin.
To help keep homes pest-free this holiday season, Arrow
Exterminators recommends the following tips:
• Store holiday decorations in plastic airtight containers.
• Inspect Christmas trees and other greenery thoroughly before
bringing them into the house.
• Store firewood away from the home and on raised structures off
• Thoroughly inspect decorations outdoors before bringing into the
• Seal all holes and cracks in and around the home that are larger
than the diameter of a pencil.
• Keep garages, attics and basements clean and clutter-free.
• Place screens over vents and openings to chimneys.
• Vacuum and sweep often around the home.