TOP FIVE PESTS TO SMOKE OUT THIS BARBEQUE SEASON
Arrow Exterminators Provides Tips to Keep Pests From Ruining Backyard Barbeques
With Memorial Day right around the corner, barbeque season is heating up. While images of burgers and hot dogs fresh off the grill may come to mind, getting stung by a wasp or fire ant or bothered by flies probably isn’t what most people envision. Warmer weather, trees in bloom and the temptation of savory grilled food has wasps, fire ants, mosquitoes, flies and ants looking to crash the party. Arrow Exterminators has identified the top five “barbeque” pests and recommends the following tips to keep them from ruining your backyard fun.
1. Wasps and Yellowjackets: “Wasps are number one on our list because they are summer’s most aggressive pest,” said Arrow Exterminators Pest Expert Shay Runion. “Wasps do not need to be provoked in any way to show aggression, they will attack a person for no reason.” Yellowjackets are another dangerous summer pest, because they sting repeatedly and cause allergic reactions in many people. Both wasps and yellowjackets are attracted to sweets; to keep these stinging insects away, serve sugary drinks in covered pitchers and keep desserts in sealed containers. Because yellowjackets and wasps are extremely dangerous, it’s important to call a pest professional immediately if detected.
2. Red Imported Fire Ants: Look for fire ants in their signature tall mounds found in landscaped areas around or near the foundation of a home. Similar to wasps and
yellowjackets, fire ants will painfully sting their victims, leaving behind red welts. Before hosting a party, it is recommended to search the yard for fire ant mounds.
If detected, a pest management professional should be called for proper removal.
3. Mosquitoes: One of summer’s most notorious pests, mosquitoes got an early start this year due to the unseasonably wet weather experienced in the south. Looking to breed in stagnant water, it only takes mosquitoes 10 to 14 days to develop from an egg into an adult. Always hungry, mosquitoes will travel up to 14 miles for a meal and are most known for the painful, itchy red bumps they leave behind on their victims. To prevent mosquitoes from invading a backyard barbeque, remove sources of standing water, such as old tires, children’s wading pools, birdbaths and saucers of flowerpots. Additionally, keep rain gutters cleaned out to prevent water from standing in drains and cut back or get rid of unnecessary vegetation around the home where mosquitoes can breed and/or nest.
4. House Flies: Mostly considered a nuisance pest, house flies have a lifespan of 15 to 25 days. Feeding on most any food source, house flies will travel up to 20 miles to get food. To prevent this unwanted guest from crashing a barbeque, remove trash regularly and use well-sealed garbage cans. Food should also be kept in airtight containers and opened only when it is ready to be eaten.
5. Ants: There are more than 700 different species of ants in the United States that could ruin a barbeque. Carpenter ants, odorous house ants and argentine ants are the most common types of ants that are found in and around homes this time of the year. To prevent ants from ruining a backyard party, make sure that firewood is not stored next to the home, keep food sealed in airtight containers (especially sweets) and cut back tree branches and other plants away from the house.