The holiday season is officially in full swing! Decorating,
parties and visits from friends and family have us all in the
holiday spirit, but we do want to remind you of a few simple steps
you can take to keep pests from ruining the fun!
Stored undisturbed in basements and attics for most of the year,
holiday decorations can provide the perfect environment for rodents
like squirrels, mice and rats to build nests. Additionally,
Christmas trees, door wreaths and even firewood provide the ideal
hiding spot and transportation into your home for pests such as the
brown recluse spider.
To prevent these pests from interfering with your holiday plans,
we recommend following these few simple steps:
- Store your holiday decorations in plastic airtight
- Inspect Christmas trees and other fresh greenery thoroughly
before bringing them into the house.
- Store firewood away from the house and up off the ground.
- When unpacking decorations, inspect them outdoors before
bringing them inside.
- Seal all holes and cracks in and around the home that are
larger than the diameter of a pencil.
- Keep garages, attics and basements clean and clutter free.
- Place screens over vents and other openings such as
- Vacuum and sweep often around the home.
We hope you and your family have a happy holiday season!