Send Unwanted Pests Packing This Summer
Kimberly Beaudin VP of Marketing
The official start to summer is right around the corner, which
means our customers and employees alike will soon be heading to
their favorite summer destinations. While many of us take
precautions to ensure our homes are well lit, locked and protected
from intruders, we should be equally concerned about those
intruders who could make their way inside on four, six or eight
legs and cause significant damage in the process.
To help homeowners avoid a variety of pest problems while away
from home and send those unexpected "pesty" houseguests packing
this vacation season, we have put together the following pest
prevention to-do list.
• Remove or drain sources of standing water in your yard that
could be a breeding ground for mosquitoes including birdbaths,
kiddie pools and saucers of flowerpots. Additionally, clean out
rain gutters to prevent water from standing in the drains.
• Cut tree branches and other plants away from your home to keep
insects, especially ants, from using them as a means of
• Discard all garbage prior to leaving for vacation and be sure
any last minute trash is placed in well-sealed trash cans so as not
to attract houseflies.
• Use airtight containers to store leftover food - especially
sweets - in the pantry to prevent ant infestations.
• Pack snacks for your road trip in airtight containers to ensure
ants do not travel with you on vacation.
• Seal clothes in large plastic bags within your suitcase and keep
them sealed during your hotel stay to prevent beg bugs from hiding
in them. When you return home, inspect and vacuum suitcases before
bringing them inside and wash all clothing in hot water.
We hope this checklist allows you and your family to better enjoy
your vacation together knowing your home is protected from all
types of intruders!