With the record heavy rains we’ve been experiencing and now that the higher temperatures are here, this is creating prime conditions for one of the most dreaded summer pests – the blood-sucking mosquito. It’s only April, and we’ve already been receiving a record number of calls reporting mosquito problems.
Mosquito-borne illnesses continue to plague regions of the country, as evidenced by the increasing incidence of West Nile Virus over the past year.
The experts at Arrow Exterminators offer these tips to prevent mosquitoes from interfering with the enjoyment of your property this season and to safeguard your family:
- Replace all standing water at least once a week; this includes birdbaths, ponds and unfiltered pools.
- Remove unneeded vegetation or trash from around any standing water sources that cannot be changed, dumped or removed.
- Screen windows, doors and other openings with mesh.
- Avoid going outdoors during dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active.
- Use insect repellent containing DEET on exposed skin whenever or wherever mosquitoes are likely to bite.
Also, keep in mind that if you have a special event taking place outside this spring or summer, a professional pest expert with specialized training can help prepare your yard before the event which will keep these blood-sucking pests away and help you and your guests enjoy your event to the fullest.