Are Squirrels Driving You Nuts?
The sounds of scratching and scurrying in your home can drive anyone nuts. Don’t let squirrels become a pain in your attic! Review our top five tips for maintaining a squirrel-free home this fall and winter.
- Survey the area. Are there any holes or cracks in the walls or foundation of your home? By performing a self- assessment of your home and attic routinely you can easily prevent squirrels from sneaking in. This is one of the simplest methods of rodent control.
- Don’t underestimate the size. You’d be amazed at how small an entry point squirrels need to gain access to your home. If you spot even the tiniest hole, be sure to seal it up.
- Check the trees. Trees are the preferred path of entry for squirrels, not to mention most other pests and rodents. Eliminate this access by trimming branches so that the nearest perch is at least six feet from the house. A great squirrel deterrent is to attach a two-foot band of sheet metal around the trunk of a tree to prohibit them from climbing.
- Avoid trapping a squirrel in the attic. If the scurrying and scratching of squirrels is driving you nuts, make sure you determine whether or not the squirrel is in or out before you seal up any entry points. If you trap the squirrel inside, this may cause further damage.
- Remove the food. Squirrels love bird seeds almost as much as they love acorns! To enforce squirrel extermination, do not keep bird feeders close to the home and do not leave your pet food sitting out.
If you have identified squirrels living in your Gainesville, Florida home then let the licensed wildlife removal professionals at Arrow Exterminators help remove them. With over 50 years of service our squirrel control experts will safeguard your home.