Cockroach or Water bug?
Cockroaches and water bugs both belong to the Insecta class, but beyond that they are surprisingly different. Cockroaches belong to the order Blattodea and water bugs are a part of the Hemiptera order.
The main reason cockroaches, especially the oriental cockroach, and water bugs are commonly mistaken for each other is because they look similar in appearance. Plus, cockroaches like to hang out around water, too. If you see a creepy crawler in your damp basement, don’t be too quick to assume it’s a water bug. Here are some ways to identify what you’re dealing with:
1. Color: Water bugs are brown or gray while cockroaches are a red or brown color. Oriental cockroaches can be even darker, which can cause confusion. But if you see a reddish tint, that’s a good indication of a cockroach.
2. Size: Water bugs are often much bigger than cockroaches. Cockroaches typically reach a maximum length of 1.5 inches, while water bugs can grow up to 2 inches long.
3. Diet: Cockroaches aren’t picky; they’re scavengers that will eat just about anything they can find. You’ll often see them hanging around the trash. However, water bugs have a more refined palate. They’re hunters who prey on a variety of aquatic life like insects, crustaceans, tadpoles, amphibians and fish.
4. Bite: Cockroaches don’t bite, because they can’t puncture human skin. On the other hand, water bugs will bite if they’re being handled. These bites aren’t harmful to humans, but they can be painful. So, if you get bitten, it wasn’t by a cockroach.
5. Home: Like their name implies, water bugs are typically found in and around water. On the other hand, cockroaches are most often found on land, although sometimes they’ll be in wet or damp areas.
6. Health hazard: Aside from a painful bite, water bugs won’t cause any problems for us. Cockroaches can be detrimental to our health and wellbeing. So, if you have an infestation that you believe could be cockroaches, it’s better to be safe than sorry by calling the exterminators.
Give Us a Call
Whether you’ve got water bugs or cockroaches in your home, we can help. Just give Arrow a call and let us know how we can be of service to you!