How to Prevent Stink Bugs In Your Home
Stink bugs are most prominent in the fall and spring seasons, just in time to interrupt beautiful weather — how rude! While they won’t cause you any harm, they can be a nuisance in your home. You’ll most likely find them hanging out on linens, lamp shades or screens.
Who likes sharing a living space with these uninvited roommates? Not us.
Next, how to spot them: stink bugs are oval and earthy-tone in color (think gray, brown or green) and can grow up to ¾ inches in thickness. They get their name because of a foul secretion released when they think they’re being attacked or threatened. This odor can also attract more stink bugs, which is the opposite of what we’re aiming for here so squashing them should be avoided.
Now that we know who they are and what they’re all about, how can you provide temporary relief until an exterminator arrives? Or, even better, prevent an infestation in the first place?
1. Seal off entry points to your home. This one seems obvious, but it can be easy to overlook a seal that’s not secured enough. Check your doors, windows, chimneys, pipes and any other entry points that might have a gap.
2. Rub screens with dryer sheets. Make sure the scent is strong for the most stink-bug repellant capabilities.
3. Change your lightbulbs. Stink bugs love light, so take away what they’re attracted to by using dimmer lighting.
4. Diffuse essential oils near entry points. Bonus: it’ll make your home smell great (we can think of worse ways to get rid of a bug infestation).
5. Vacuum if needed. You can buy a small, dedicated vacuum to get rid of an infestation. If you spot a few stink bugs, there’s a chance plenty of their friends are on the way.
6. If you already have an infestation inside your home, hang a damp towel over a chair. It’ll attract the stink bugs like a moth to a flame, so just don’t get too grossed out when you see a towel filled with them. This will at least help you out until the professionals arrive.
7. Call an exterminator. The best way to get rid of a stink bug infestation is to nip it at the roots. Our experts at Arrow are happy to help you kick out your uninvited guests. After all, protecting homeowners from bugs is what we do best.
Give Us a Call
We’re here to help identify and exterminate stink bugs — or any pests that might be creepy crawling in and around your home. Just give Arrow a call and let us know how we can be of service to you!