Keep Your Holidays Pest-Free This Year
Holiday cheer is certainly contagious with baked treats, festive lights, and joyful caroling and as we celebrate our blessings throughout the holiday season, pests are also rejoicing. Indian meal moths, mice, ants, rodents and cockroaches are all common and unwanted guests this time of year.
Baking, decorating, and family gatherings provide many opportunities for these uninvited guests to have their own little party. Indian meal moths and merchant grain beetles can be found lurking in flour, cake mixes, dried fruits and corn meal, while ants and roaches like to feast on crumbs and are most attracted to the sweet treats. Additionally, spiders and ants like to help hang the lights and ornaments on the tree as they can be found in live greenery and other rodents like to lurk in stored decorations.
To keep these pests out of your home, here are some of Arrow Exterminators’ top helpful tips:
- Give a thorough shake and inspection to live greenery such as Christmas trees and garland before bringing them into your home to make sure pests aren’t trying to sneak in along with them.
- Store firewood off the ground and at least 20 feet from the home and inspect it carefully before bringing it into your home.
- Seal any cracks or holes in the foundation or walls of your home. You would be surprised at the lengths a pest or rodent will go to in an effort to come inside. House mice can squeeze through holes the size of a nickel.
- Don’t purchase any food packages with signs of damage at the grocery store; also inspect all food for potential infestations before baking. A family of moths is a fast way to easily ruin one of Granny’s famous pie recipes!
- Keep all holiday decorations in plastic, airtight containers and inspect them outdoors after retrieving from the basement or attic.
- Maintain a clean home by vacuuming and sweeping often, storing all food in sealed containers and keeping the countertops wiped down.
If you need help kicking these pests to the curb before your real guests arrive, contact a pest professional at Arrow Exterminators to ensure a happy and pest-free holiday!