Flea And Tick Populations Continue To Rise
Arrow Exterminators Recommends Five Steps That Can Help Prevent Flea and Tick Infestations
The summer heat has definitely arrived in our area and our humid climate provides the perfect conditions for flea and tick populations to boom in our area. These insects reproduce very quickly and may pose serious health risks to both humans and pets.
Fleas and ticks have become increasingly resistant to common methods of treatment making controlling an infestation extremely difficult. To help homeowners protect their families and pets this summer, Arrow Exterminators has prepared a list of five important precautions to prevent an infestation.
- Keep outdoor play areas and lawns groomed and clear of brush, grass clippings, woodpiles and leaf debris. These are ideal havens for rodents such as mice and rats which are renowned carriers of fleas and ticks.
- Bathe and groom pets often and visit a veterinarian for professional flea and tick treatments. Also, inspect them regularly, especially the front shoulders, back and ears. Fleas are notorious hitchhikers and with the ability to jump more than 200 times their body length, it is extremely easy for them to catch a ride on a pet and into a home.
- Vacuum frequently. This will help remove fleas and prevent the laying of eggs. It’s important to remember that fleas are not only fantastic hitchhikers, but also professional escape artists. “After vacuuming, immediately dispose of the bag,” said Charlie Jones, Arrow’s SVP of Operations.
- When outside, in areas where ticks are common, it’s important to dress properly. Wear long-sleeved shirts and pants and if possible, wear clothing light in color so ticks are easier to detect. Also, use a tick repellant containing DEET or Permethrin and when returning indoors, inspect clothing and skin and pets thoroughly for ticks, especially the head and behind the ears.
- If a flea or tick infestation is suspected, a pest professional should be contacted immediately to eradicate the problem.
Arrow Exterminators protects homes from pests with the STEPS® Total Protection System™, an industry-leading approach that utilizes Integrated Pest Management. STEPS includes a full home and property evaluation to pinpoint pest control issues; identification of not only the pest, but the true cause of the problem; and treatment in the most environmentally responsible way to alleviate current issues and to help prevent future recurrences.